Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 24- Love vs. Lust

The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever. --1 John 2:17

Today's Dare-

End it now. Identify every object of lust in your life and remove it. Single out every lie you've swallowed in pursuing forbidden pleasure and reject it. Lust cannot be allowed to live in a back bedroom. It must be killed and destroyed -- today -- and replaced with the sure promises of God and a heart filled with His perfect love.

What did you identify as an area of lust? What has this pursuit cost you over time? How has it led you away from the person you want to be? Write about your new commitment to seek Him-- and seek your spouse-- rather than seeking after foolish desires.

I am trying to play catch up this morning. I was going to post this blog Saturday, but you know how it goes. I had jury duty for the first time yesterday, so I am really behind now!

My first reaction to this chapter was that I wasn't lusting after anyone anymore, but once I read it, I realized that I was lusting over things. I have not been content, and have been constantly seeking the next thing to make me happy. I have lied and tried to meet my needs in illegitimate ways. The book say that lust is really a misguided thirst for satisfaction that only God can fulfill. I absolutely believe it because I've never been able to find relief on my own.

I would say that I lust over stuff, food, etc. The pursuit has cost me sanity, health, lots of money, opportunities, and true happiness. It has hurt my marriage. I've felt so lost not knowing what I wanted and always searching trying to fill the void.

There is a new commitment for me to seek Him. It feels very foreign to me because I am not used to this new way of life, but I am trying to act as if until it eventually because comfortable. I finally followed through with praying this morning. I've been praying at night off and on, but this was the first morning I remembered to stop and pray. It is going to take time, but mostly it is going to take effort. It is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails