Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 15- Love is Honorable

Live with your wives in an understanding way... and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life. --1 Peter 3:7

Today's Dare

Choose a way to show honor and respect to your spouse that is above your normal routine. It may be holding the door for her. It might be putting his clothes away for him. It may be the way you listen and speak in your communication. Show your mate that he or she is highly esteemed in your eyes.

How did you choose to show honor? What was the result? What are some other ways you could demonstrate honor in the coming days?

A good friend reminded me that this is just as much about me and the condition of my heart and my determination as it is about the relationship. It was much needed- thank you Brandy.

I chose to show honor in the way speak in my communication. We had a rough evening last night. I was upset because I thought that he was very disrespectful to one of my friends. I tried to handle it well, but I didn't follow my own rule to wait until I had thought it through before I talked to him about it. In any case, the conversation diverted and I had an opportunity to address something with him.

Havie likes to make jokes at his own expense. I've asked him not to do it out of annoyance. I've never really given him a reason other than I think it's crude. I've even gone as far as to flat out beg him to never do it again. He has continued regardless. I told him last night that the reason I ask him to not make those jokes is because I hate to hear him talk about himself in that manner. He is a good person, a honorable man, and he just tears himself down. It hurts me to hear him talk about himself that way.

I told him that I know he thinks it's funny and he's just trying to lighten the mood, but I worry about what it does to his self-esteem. I told him that it's easy for me to see his good qualities.

For the first time, he seemed to listen to what I was saying and understand.

Another way that I plan to honor him is by taking better care of myself. Eventhough it is more about my own self-worth than anything else, I want him to know that I honor him enough to want to be someone that he can be proud of and worthy of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails