Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 16- Love intercedes

Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. --3 John 2

Today's Dare

Begin praying today for your spouse's heart. Pray for three specific areas where you desire for God to work in your spouse's life and in your marriage.

Have you experienced the power of prayer in the past? What did you choose to pray about? Was it easy for you, or did it feel foreign to you?

The first sentence of this chapter is- You cannot change your spouse. As much as you may want to, you cannot play God and reach into their heart and mold them into what you want them to be. You can, however, be a "wise farmer". A wise farmer plant a seed into fertile soil, gives it water and nutrients, protects it from weeds, and then turns it over to God.

The chapter talks a lot about the power for prayer. I have experienced the power of prayer in the past. I worked at a YMCA summer camp back in 2000. I was going through a time of confusion, but I was surrounded by beauty and amazing people. I started talking to God all day. It was the first time that prayer felt right to me. It was a real spiritual breakthrough for me. It ws the first time I felt like I had a relationship with God. It confirmed my questions about the existence of God.

I've recently had another prayer breakthrough. Through this Love Dare process, my love of God has grown and deepened. I used to believe that I didn't need to be formal about prayer because God just wanted me to talk to him and that I was always talking to him. And I still believe that is true, but because I have this deeper reverence now, I WANT to show my respect and honor by choosing to get on my knees and pray. Not because God won't hear me otherwise. I hope that I'm making sense.

I chose to pray first that Havie's relationship with God grow. I have seen it grow from almost non-existent and I know think that relationship is exactly what he needs.

I also prayed that Havie would find forgiveness in his heart. Not only for me, but for all of those people who have hurt him, and for himself. He has made some progress in this area already. He is still hurting.

Finally, I prayed that God help Havie melt the defensiveness. He feels like the world is out to get him and he's always looking for criticism for anyone and everyone. I want him to be secure enough to see that even if somone criticizes him, he will be okay.

The prayer felt foreign because I am embarrased to admit that I am not used to praying for Havie. I pray for our relationship, but somehow I am have managed to not pray for the most important person in my life. All of that is changing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails