Friday, March 27, 2009

Day 12- Love lets the other win

Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. --Philippians 2:4

Today's Dare:

Demonstrate love by willingly choosing to give in to an area of disagreement between you and your spouse. Tell them you are putting their preference first.

What issue did you choose? What did giving in cost you? How will this help you in the future?

Oh, what a day! I read the chapter first thing in the morning and spent all day trying to think of things that Havie and I disagree about. I know that we disagree on things, but most there wasn't anything coming to mind. I even asked him if he could think of anything and he couldn't. I was thinking, Man- I am going to be stuck on this day... ha ha! I don't know why I haven't figured out that God is going to provide what I need!

After our Financial Peace class last night- we talked about our budget and debt snowball on the way home. And that's when I decided to lay out my master plan. I had made a decision earlier in the day that I was going to show my love by being unselfish. Since I am no longer teaching (and not planning to return to it) I will soon be getting a significant return from TRS. We've tossed around many ideas, but I decided that I wanted to use it for some dental work that Havie needs. This is not cosmetic dentistry, he actually really needs some teeth removed, etc.

So, I told him what I wanted and was shocked by his reaction. He said no! He thinks we should continue on our financial peace plan and use the money to pay debts off. I got upset. Here I was trying to be giving and loving and he wasn't going to let me. I got angry at him. And then it hit me. I obviously was expecting some kind of reaction from him that I didn't get which makes my reaction to it selfishness. GAH!

So, I turned to him and told him that I didn't want to fight about it. That I respected his opinion and that I was going to go with his wishes. His jaw dropped to the floor... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails