Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 29- Love's Motivation

Render service with a good attitude, as to the Lord and not to men. --Ephesians 6:7 HCSB

Today's Dare-

Before you see your spouse again today, pray for them by name and for their needs. Whether it comes easy for you or not, say "I love you," then express love to them in some tangible way. Go to God in prayer again, thanking Him for giving you the privilege of loving this one special person-- unconditionally, the way He loves both of you.

How will this change of motivation affect your relationship and reactions? What does this inspire you to do? What does it inspire you to stop doing?

This was a pretty simple dare to complete, but I can see it's effectiveness immediately. It is going to be a few more days before I see my spouse again, but I pray for him and his needs everyday. I am grateful that we are not in a place where we are reluctant to tell each other "I love you." There are many couples at this stage in the game who are so low down that they refuse to say it. I thank God we never made it to that point.

I chose to express my love by having dinner delivered to Havie yesterday. I was able to surprise him with pizza and pasta. I wanted him to be able to relax instead of cooking before he went in to work. He seemed really happy about it.

When I finally made it to my bed last night (long story, sick puppy...) I remembered to thank God for providing Havie for me to love. I thanked God for creating such an amazing man. I am truly a lucky girl and I need to remember that.

This morning, when Havie called and woke me up at 5:30am, he asked me if I have been taking our dogs on walks. This brought up an anger in me. I just said yes I have and that was that, but I was angry. Didn't he know that I would take care of them? Why did he want to know? etc.

But a voice in my heart said, "Let it go." It doesn't matter. You are walking the dogs and now he knows that too. I felt the anger subside and I was truly grateful. I would have called him back, asked him why he asked me that, and it would have turned into an argument. It has happened so many times before.

I wasn't thinking at that moment- oh, I should be motivated by God's love... I reacted by instict because I am filled with God's love. I've been waiting for this to happen. For my response to be guided by love instead of frustration. I am just amazed and blessed and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails