Thursday, October 1, 2009

Losing for Winning


I've been sharing my weight loss successes (and sometimes failures) online for quite a while now. It has been an amazing experience over the years. I have shared my victories and struggles, and I have had so much support from so many. This week, when I reported my weight loss through my Facebook status, I was asked by an old friend how I was managing to do it. I told him that I was doing Weight Watchers, but that I was just eating the stuff we know is healthy (whole grains, lean meats, veggies, fruits, etc.) and staying away from the stuff we know is unhealthy. He then remarked that it sounded so simple. He had always thought losing weight was tough to do. And I wasn't sure what to say about that.

On the one hand, it is simple. Just eat what is good for you, in an appropriate portion and exercise. It really is just that simple.

On the other hand, it is so complicated and emotional and hard. There are so many aspects of ourselves and our lives that are wrapped up in what we eat. Eventhough food is meant to just nourish our bodies and give them the fuel they need, it means so much more to us emotionally. That's the hard part to deal with.

I think first and foremost, I have to say that my own personal weight loss is not driven by a desire to be "skinny." At one point in time, that was something I was deeply concerned with, but just isn't important anymore. I am being driven by a desire to be healthy- emotionally and physically. Eventhough I have not yet faced any serious physical issues related to being obese, I have had enough to know that I don't want to continue down this road. I want to be able to run around the yard with little ones. I want to be able to bend over without feeling like I'm going to pass out. I want energy. Those are the goals that motivate me now, and it has made all the difference in the world.

Basically I've decided to start sharing the details of this journey with you. I will blog once a week about my progress and let you in on what's working for me.

I am by no means a professional and what's working for me may or may not have any relevance to you, but I've come a long way and if my story can help someone else make this journey- it will all be worth it!

So, here are my current stats:

Current weight: 305.6 lbs.
Current weight loss: -13 pounds in 3 weeks

Please check out these links to past blogs about my weight loss/weight issues:

I am satisfied today, not because I had a Snickers, and not because I didn't have a Snickers. I am satisfied because what I am eating is nourishing me. I am not hungry. I am not in pain. I am not feeling guilty and ashamed. Instead I feel energy, I feel comfortable, I feel satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. love this...it really can be that simple--we just make it complicated. i will be keeping up with these for sure (but then, i always keep up with ya, lol)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails