Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Updates all around

I have a job now!  Which is a huge relief to me.  I am a Special Education Paraprofessional at one of the local elementary schools.  It is a great campus, a great staff, and I'm really excited to meet the students next week when school starts.

Now, I know what you're thinking.  Didn't I just turn down a similar job?  Yes, I did.  I accepted this position because it is way more likely to lead to a teaching position, it's here in Lubbock where I'm far more likely to find a part-time job to supplement my income, and because I felt like I needed to get back in before too much time passed.  I've had friends take a few years off from teaching to have children and have never been able to get back into a teaching job.  The education field is constantly growing and changing and I guess they see you as out of touch if too much time has passed.

In any case, I'm loving it so far!


 
I was visited by my husband a few weekends ago.  It was a great weekend even though I was plagued by a mysterious back injury and we ended up laying low most of the time.  We did drive to Spur so he could see our pups.  Thumper was beside himself.  They really missed each other!  That's about the time that I said, maybe I should head on back to Corpus Christi.  I hadn't found a job and I was feeling like maybe I had made a big mistake.  But Havie so no.  He said that we've made so much progress so far and that he wants to come here when we're ready, so he didn't think me moving back was a good idea.

And I knew he was right.  We both still have work to do, but I'm grateful that things really are getting better for the first time in our relationship.

So, what's the hold up on his moving here?  Well, it's a looooooong story but basically he has a suspended license stemming back to a very old ticket for having no insurance.  We thought it was taken care of (even have documents from the state saying his license was restored) last summer.  On his way back from Wyoming this past fall, he was pulled over for speeding and given a ticket which he paid.  Then right about the time I left, he got a letter saying that his license was re-suspended for a year.  I left him with all of our receipts from our original surcharge payments, the letters from the state saying it was taken care of, etc.  I left it for him to figure out for once.

Turns out, they say we never made our last surcharge payment or reinstatement fee (both of which there are receipts for).  To top it off, if we hadn't, why on earth would they send us a letter stating his license had been restored and send him a new one?  But the year suspension is because he got a ticket on a suspended license!  They said they made the determination sometime between the time they sent his new I.D.  in August and when he got his ticket at the beginning of November, but we were never notified until this May!

Anyway, he hired an attorney, but we found out today that there's nothing that can be done.  I just don't get it.  Even with all of our documentation and all of their screw ups, that suspension stands until next summer.  Since my husband works in corrections, he can't get hired here unless he has his license back.  And we can't afford for him to leave his current job in corrections just to be here with me.

Unless a teaching position opens up for me, it looks like it will be a year from now before we are living together again.  I'm just trying to have faith that it will all work out the way it's supposed to.

As strange as it may seem, I'm really happy right now.  I'm grateful and hopeful.  Life isn't always perfect, sometimes it's downright messy, but it's always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails